Sunday, February 27, 2011

18 days into P90X!!

So, I meant to start blogging on my 1st day of P90X, but I kind of forgot about it... anyway, from here on out, I plan to bring you all a daily update of my journey through P90X.

A little background on myself-- I am 26, male, 5'7, and I began the program at 160 pounds. I have always played sports and I've always tried to eat well. Accordingly, I am not one of those 300 pound guys who has ordered P90X to lose 100 pounds... (and I have absolutely nothing against that!) I ordered the program because I could feel myself starting to go downhill in terms of fitness.....

I am not one of those guys who never had a 6-pack... I have pictures from about 6 or 7 years ago where I had a very defined 6-pack, BUT I definitely had a runner's body... I came into college weighing 165 pounds, and if I had to guess, a body fat of roughly 18-20%... I had played basketball, football, and baseball for my first 2 years of high school, but then I began to focus primarily on baseball (and beer drinking). And we all know, HS baseball conditioning doesn't exactly cut you up!

Anyway, as a freshman in college, I began to run almost nightly.. I mixed in some pushups and situps, but I was predominately running during every workout... I droped over 30 pounds to get down to 130 pounds!! I lost far too much weight for my body type, and you could tell it in my face.. I just didn't look good! However, I was able to sculpt a nice-looking 6-pack during that time....

I then realized that I was too scrawny, so I decided it was time to hit the weights... I lifted on & off during college, sometimes I was serious about it, sometimes I wasn't... but I quickly got my weight back up to the 160-range... and this was a much more fit 160 than I came into college carrying.... I had my body fat tested a few times and it was almost always around 10-14%...... I never really got the abs back that I had as a freshman, but I was very healthy, and I was strong.. My max bench got up to about 235 pounds. (I'm not bragging, I know that's not an extraordinary amount.. but it was a far cry from what I could lift when I was a 130-pound "runner")...

Then I went to law school.... I tried to lift during the 1st couple of semesters, but I inevitably shifted my focus to my studies (lol)... I watched my very fit body turn into a body that was still somewhat fit.. I guess.. but NOWHERE near where I wanted it to be! worse came to worse after I graduated and studied for the bar exam.... during this time (several months), I didn't do anything in terms of weight training.. and my only cardio workout was when my brother had some of his friends over to the house to play soccer..

Flash forward several months.. I passed the Illinois Bar and was sworn-in during November.. I am currently on the job hunt.. and while waiting, I have decided to give P90X a whirl..... I am actually borrowing the DVDs from my sister.. I was afraid it was one of those programs that would only make me lose weight, but after doing research.. and watching before & after videos.. I have realized that it is definitely possible to also gain muscle while on the program....

I would love to stay around 160 pounds, but I want to see a decrease in body fat.... I would LOVE to have a nice 6-pack-- hell, give me an 8-pack! I also want to have a strong back & decently sized arms.... I do not need to bulk up huge like a body builder.... I just want to look GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment